Thursday, November 5, 2015

Visit to the Columbarium

We went to the Columbarium to visit the niches where my wife's aunt's ashes were placed. She went to be with the Lord 60 years ago at the age of 59. When my wife's mum died at the tender age of 26, this aunt took over the guardianship of her and her sister.

We went to see my father's niche nearby. He left this world in 1965 at the age of 79- fifty years ago. What a life he lived, when at the age of 12 he left China as a stowaway and the ship brought this illegal boy immigrant to Singapore. He was a survivor, what trials he went through.

The thought came to my mind - how old is old. Some died in their twenties, thirties, some even only two years old. Today some people do not consider themselves old even at 80!

I could not help reading the details written on the neighbouring niches - one died at the age of two, another just 2 days, others in their 30's and 40's ,not many in their eighties.

This journey to the Columbarium probably would be our last visit. As age catches up with us, we face challenges like negotiating stairs. There are no lifts at the columbarium. A sense of gratitude overwhelmed me. God has been good, He has given us good children and grandchildren we can be proud of. He has granted us all these years to see our children and grandchildren grow up.

Aging is an inevitable process. The Bible tells us of the average life span of 'three score years and ten' My wife and I have gone past this line. Everyday is a bonus. Thank God for life, thank God for eternal life given through His Son Jesus Christ.

For me to live is Christ and to die is gain. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment