Saturday, November 8, 2014

Possesions

I've preached, taught, counselled others on the subject of possessions. Good to live simply. Don't be possessed by possessions! All sound advice and scriptural too. We came into the world with nothing, and will leave with nothing.

Job said, "I came naked from my mother's womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The LORD gave me what I had, and the LORD has taken it away. Praise the name of the LORD!" Job 1: 21

"We all come to the end of our lives as naked and empty-handed as on the day we were born. We can't take our riches with us". (Ecclesiastes 5:15 New Living Translation)

We are in the midst of packing to move to Changi - from west to east. We shall occupy one of the units on the top floor of Peacehaven Nursing Home. We have to get rid of a lot of things that we have accumulated. Sadly I must confess some things do possess me and I need to be drastic and walk my talk. You see, the unit there is smaller than the current one we occupy. We are downgrading or downsizing and it will be easier to maintain.

We shall be near our special daughter, Dora Poh Chin, a resident of Peacehaven Nursing Home. We shall visit her everyday!

"In life we need to learn to let go of things. "Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you and in this material age, a great many of us are possessed by our possessions." Peace Pilgrim

My simple prayer today is asking the Lord to help me  learn not to cling on, but just hold lightly to this world's goods. They are on loan to me for the time being. There is a time to enjoy something, and a time to release and pass on to someone else who can make use of it.

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. Matthew 6: 33 (New Living Translation)






No comments:

Post a Comment