Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Wounded earth in Paradise Lost

How can a powerful and loving God allow all the disasters that are happening in this world today?Just saw the news of the landslide in Japan killing at least 36 people. The search may uncover more victims. Think of what is happening in Africa - senseless slaughter of innocent people. Such pain and suffering; we cannot answer the question.

We live in a fallen world, tainted with sin, afflicted with sorrow. John Milton in Paradise Lost mentioned that when the forbidden fruit was taken in Eden "earth felt the wound." Curse entered the world.  The effects of sin are still felt today - suffering, death, disasters plague mankind and will continue to do so till the Lord returns in all His glory.

God has not promised us immunity from suffering. It is the common heritage of mankind. We suffer not in despair, but in hope. God will wipe all tears from the eyes.

Last Sunday, we sang again my favourite song,

I'm in His hands, I'm in His hands,
Whate'er the future holds, I'm in His hands.
The days I cannot see, have all been planned for me.
His way is best, you see, I'm in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment