Friday, August 29, 2014

Our small group meeting

We've been studying the Book of Job in our small group that meets every Friday morning; the drama reflects our own deep struggle trying to comprehend the ways of God. He moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.

Job suffered one calamity after another. He lost his sons, lost his possessions, lost his health, lost the support of his wife. His three friends came to comfort him; they noticed this pathetic figure, his horrible plight, his calamities and to give them credit, they sat with him for seven days and seven nights without saying word.

Sadly when the friends began to speak, their words brought no comfort. They only added to his grief. They gave him 'advice' in rounds of discussion, blaming poor Job that he was suffering for his own personal sins. They did not see the reason God permitted the sufferings to come to Job.

For weeks we have been going through the discourses. What valuable lessons we learned from them in this  book. Job's friends talked about God, but Job talked to talk. He could be frank with God.

One thing is clear, God never allows us to suffer more than we can bear through  His help. I am reminded of Ballington Booth's lovely song which has brought much encouragement and comfort to my own heart.

  1. The cross that He gave may be heavy,
    But it ne’er outweighs His grace;
    The storm that I feared may surround me,
    But it ne’er excludes His face.
    • Refrain:
      The cross is not greater than His grace,
      The storm cannot hide His blessed face;
      I am satisfied to know
      That with Jesus here below,
      I can conquer every foe.
  2. The thorns in my path are not sharper
    Than composed His crown for me;
    The cup that I drink not more bitter
    Than He drank in Gethsemane.
  3. The light of His love shineth brighter,
    As it falls on paths of woe;
    The toil of my work groweth lighter,
    As I stoop to raise the low.
  4. His will have I joy in fulfilling,
    As I’m walking in His sight;
    My all to the blood I am bringing,
    It alone can keep me right.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment