Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Ministry in church


Well, I’ve not played in the band for a few years. Last Sunday our bandmaster Bruce was away in Indonesia and CSM Michael Lau who plays first cornet, was the acting bandmaster. The meeting was about to begin and there were only four players. I happened to be around and he asked if I could help.

Well, I was given a horn and asked to participate. Yvonne was very assuring and told me “that playing an instrument is like riding a bicycle - you never forget!” Well I managed to play, but it was not the fingering that was the challenge. It was my eyesight. With the dim lighting and my tinted spectacles, I had some difficulty reading the notes and had to bring the tune book close to my eyes. Still I managed to get through perhaps with a couple of mistakes. The bandsmen were very kind and assuring. There was wonderful comradeship in the band. I enjoyed the meeting and making my small contribution by playing in the band.

Now I don’t know about riding a bicycle. Perhaps I should try one day, but its traffic along the Upper Bukit Timah Road that poses the big challenge.

I love the band and enjoy listening to band music. I had to give up playing because I could not afford the time to attend practice which is on a Sunday. Our day begins early at 9.30 a.m. Bible class, then the worship meeting which lasts an hour and half. Then we have our lunch followed by Prayer meeting at 1.30 p.m. Band practice starts at 2.30 p.m. and it is too long a day for me. Besides, no one is indispensable and it is good to see the younger folk in the band. Anyway it was good to be a ‘spare tyre’ and fit in when there is a need.


No comments:

Post a Comment