Thursday, March 22, 2012

Prayer - its importance

We just came home after attending the weekly prayer meeting. Not many turned up today, only four of us from Praisehaven, Captain Hary and Major Lim Chee Kwee. But we prayed earnestly just the same. Our leaders Colonel Gillian Downer, Lieut. Colonels Bob and Wendy are away in Myanmar. They are regular participants.

When the subject of prayer is mentioned we can be assured many agree with us on its importance and necessity for our spiritual life. As the poet has said, Prayer is the Christian vital breath and native air. We cannot survive spiritually without prayer. After my many years of prayer, I feel I am still a student of prayer. There is so much to learn.

There are some elements we need to have in our prayers - we should begin with praise, thanksgiving and worship.We come to him in humble submission and exalt the Lord our God.

Prayer should include others. We need to talk about people to God. Quite simply, intercessory prayer is the act of praying on behalf of others.God wants every believer be active in intercessory prayer. What a wonderful and exalted privilege we have in being able to come boldly before the throne of Almighty God with our prayers and requests for ourselves and others.

Of course, prayer is petition. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4: 16. In petition, we are not seeking to overcome God's reluctance; not at all, we are laying hold of of His willingness. He bids us pray.

John Newton's beautiful hymn is worth reading and praying aloud often.

Come, my soul, thy suit prepare:
Jesus loves to answer prayer;
He Himself has bid thee pray,
Therefore will not say thee nay.

Thou art coming to a King,
Large petitions with thee bring;
For His grace and power are such,
None can ever ask too much.

With my burden I begin:
Lord, remove this load of sin;
Let Thy blood, for sinners spilt,
Set my conscience free from guilt.

Lord, I come to Thee for rest,
Take possession of my breast;
There Thy blood bought right maintain,
And without a rival reign.

As the image in the glass
Answers the beholder's face;
Thus unto my heart appear,
Print Thine own resemblance there.

While I am a pilgrim here,
Let Thy love my spirit cheer;
As my Guide, my Guard, my Friend
Lead me to my journey's end.

Show me what I have to do,
Every hour my strength renew:
Let me live a life of faith
Let me die Thy people's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment