Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas dinner at Tangs

Last night, I joined our many friends as guests of Mrs. Janet Liok at Marriot Hotel. The William Booth Corps band was on duty playing carols. At 9.15 p.m. we all went to the Hotel to have this lovely Christmas dinner. Mrs. Liok, her son Kelvin and Katherine her sister worship at the William Booth Corps (Church)

I sat next to Janet Liok's cousin Mrs. Khai-Eng Tyler from England the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C Y Chang of Malacca. I first met this lady when I took up my appointment as the Corps Officer (pastor) of Malacca Corps (church) in 1954. The Changs owned a shop selling all kinds of knick knack, pictures, lamp shades etc. at Newcome Road. Mr. C Y Chang was a Methodist lay preacher and quite often came round to help The Salvation Army. Mrs. Chang who ran the shop was the niece of C K Tang of Singapore.

The Changs were very kind to me during my three years in Malacca. Every Chinese New Year they would invite me to share their family reunion dinner. I was at that time in my early twenties living alone. Every month they contributed their donation to The Salvation Army.

Mrs. Tyler is going to visit her brother Joseph and his family in Malacca. In the meantime she is staying with her cousin Janet Liok in Singapore.

Many friends, past and present have contributed much to my spiritual growth through the years. Christmas is the time we hear from many, either by e-mail, or snail mail. As each greeting comes in I whisper a prayer for these good people God has brought into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment