Saturday, November 20, 2010

Weakness and strength

A paradox is defined as "an assertion seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense, but that yet may be true in fact" (Webster)

One of our songs says,
"Make me a captive, Lord,
And then I shall be free;
Force me to render up my sword,
And I shall be conqueror be.
I sink in life's alarms
When by myself I stand;
Imprison me within thine arms
And strong shall be my hand." George Metheson (SASB 508)

Here's another paradox. Paul's words have greatly encouraged me "For when I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Cor. 12: 10. Here is paradox of power in the Christian life - conscious human weakness discovering and utilising Divine strength.

Paul had been afflicted with some ailment or weakness which he called 'a thorn in the flesh.' It was something physical, something terrible that on three occasions he asked the Lord to free him from this handicap. But he received no positive response from God. Then he received this fresh word from the Lord, "My grace is sufficient for you; for My power is made perfect in weakness" What a comforting thought. Then he went on to say "I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power my rest in me. That is why, for Christ's sake I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor. 12: 9-10)

Does it still work today? Yes, certainly, I have found it so! That paradox is encouraging and instructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment