Monday, November 15, 2010

Freedom for Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi

Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi has been given her freedom! The whole world rejoices. Everyone knows her story -there is no need for me to give details.

She continues her fight for freedom and democracy. After all these years of detention and house arrest, her spirit remains strong. I'm impressed. She now holds the olive branch to the regime; she bears no grudge against those who kept her under detention for more than 15 of the past 21 years. "Let's speak to each other" she requests.

Concerning her freedom, she said, "I always felt free within myself." Under house arrest or in prison, yet free! We tend to think of freedom as the opportunity to go where we want and do what we like. Many people do what they like, but not necessary like what they do. They have everything to live with, but nothing to live for.

I think of the poem I learnt in school many years ago concerning freedom"
To Althea from Prison" by Richard Lovelace

"Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage:
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above,
Enjoy such liberty."

No comments:

Post a Comment