Thursday, May 13, 2010

May 13th - That terrible day

Forty one years ago, today, we were right in the centre of a storm - May 13 riots in Kuala Lumpur. Memories are still vivid.

The government imposed 24-hour curfew. I was on my way to an inter church prayer meeting when someone shouted to me 'Go home quick, there's curfew on." I rushed home and within minutes Police and the army vehicles were right in our street.

Our three week old baby, Dora Poh Chin was sick most of the time. My wife who was breast feeding her did not have enough milk for the baby. Perhaps the tension and anxiety had contributed to this state. Soon we ran out of food and milk powder and I had to slip out of the house when the police or soldiers were not around. Yes, I broke the emergency law, but what could we do? I would run to the back lane, knock on the doors of the shops to buy provisions. Then I would stealthily and prayerfully made my way back.

We've been through storms - but I think the 1969 one was the worst and most frightening. But the Lord was with us and He protected us.

This morning when I turned to my devotional book, Words of Life and saw 13th May, memories came back and I thank God for what He has done and been to us all through the years.

All through the years, His providence has led me,
His abounding goodness has been all my song;
All through the years I tell His love and mercy,
Singing Ebenezer as the years roll on.

I'm so thankful to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment