Saturday, May 23, 2009

Words of Life

Wait please.

Psalms 27:14 - "Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD."

We all must learn the art of patience. Not easy for most people, certainly for me. One person calls it "wait-training." One exercise we regularly participate in is the exercise of patience. It seems that there is always something we are waiting for.

We wait on traffic and we wait in lines at stores, restaurants, and even to go to the wash room. We wait while an automated voice goes through 1,000 options on the phone - Press 1, press 2 etc. We wait to complete school to earn a living. We wait to retire. We wait for a decision to be made. Wait…wait...wait! We cannot escape the web of waiting!Because of this, Patience is an essential quality of a happy life.

I read the Salvation Army Daily Devotional Reading everyday and have been much blessed by doing so. Get a copy if you do not have one. Today the caption says WAIT.

The writer refers to a Poem entitled "At the door" written by Michel Quoist. He describes a boy frustrated and angry behind a closed door; stamping, shrieking and eventually crying as he tries to force the door open. Quoist compares this to himself and his impatience and ends with a prayer "Grant me, Lord, to be respectful and patient, loving and praying in silence, standing at the door till it is opened."

It is Saturday, and there is much preparation to be done. I am going through my Bible notes for tomorrow and also preparing for Monday's devotion at Gracehaven. So much to do, so I must learn to wait on the Lord.

I've committed Michel Quoist's prayer to memory. I keep repeating it for my own benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment