Friday, May 22, 2009

Not weary yet!

Retirement is a modern idea. In the olden days people used to work till they died, or too sick to work.

We live in a world today where a person's worth is measured in economic terms. As soon as he retires he is automatically relegated to the ranks of the unproductive. Some are made to feel they have nothing more to contribute to society.

For me my calling to the ministry does not end at retirement. It is a holy calling and there is no time frame to it. I may not be able to preach and teach like my younger colleagues, but I still have a ministry. This calling has its origin in the heart of God.

Everytime I stand up to preach to a congregation, or teach a Bible class, I am conscious of the fact that God inspires my soul.

In my younger days, we used to sing in the Songsters

"Not weary yet, Ten, fifteen, twenty, thirty years and more
Still at the battle front delighting in the war.
Not weary yet, still fighting yet,
True soldiers never tire
Praise God, I'm not weary yet."

Like Charles Wesley I would say

"Happy, if with my latest breath,
I may but gasp His name,
Preach Him to all, and cry in death;
Behold, behold the Lamb.

To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment