Saturday, December 30, 2017

Meditation - to end the year 2017


 
Another year is coming to an end. The older we get the faster appears the flight of time. I hear again the lament, “Where has all the time gone?” It has been well said,

When as a child I slept and wept, Time crept.
When as a youth I laughed and talked, Time walked.

When I became a full grown man,Time ran.

And older as I daily grew,Time flew.
Soon I shall find in travelling on,Time gone.

Scientists are capable of making great discoveries, but no one has come up with a gadget to reverse time. They all emphasize its brevity. It is a warning for us to make the best use of time we have on earth. I remember an old song which says, “Time is passing by sinner, time is passing by.” If I remember correctly it was in a Salvation Army publication called “Revival Songs” I used to sing it myself.
 love Psalm 90 and repeat it often. When I cannot sleep, I don’t count sheep, I recite psalms that I have committed to memory. Psalm 90 gives us several pictures of life on earth all emphasizing its brevity. None of my family lived beyond 80, and here am I in my mid-eighties! Is it true that saying “The good die young.” And thank God I still have my marbles even if the power of recall is not as good.  We are to make use of time wisely.

Our mortal bodies are like dust. “You turn men back to dust, saying ‘Return to dust, O sons of men’” Yes, we cannot deny the fact that our physical body is of dust and to dust we will return at death. We are like grass. They are like the new grass of the morning – though in the morning it springs up new, by evening it is dry and withered’ (vv 5-6) However long we may live on earth, it comes to an end and we go to meet our Maker. Let us face this reality and make preparations for that day. Paul counsels us, “Be very careful then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil..” Ephesians 5: 15-16

The New Year lies before us with the pages clean and unspoiled. Opportunities will come our way. Let us seize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment