Saturday, September 24, 2016

Mak Soo Lan (Mrs. Tan)

Another good friend of ours Mak Soo Lan (Mrs. Tan)was promoted to Glory at the age of 92 on 15th September. We met the family at Mount Vernon on 18th September to have prayer with them.

She was one of the five delegates to the Salvation Army International Youth Congress in 1950. She and her husband were given a concertina which she later passed it on to me as they had no use for it. I learned to play it and used it for many years.

The Malaya Command as this territory was then called, sent five delegates all from the Singapore Central Corps. Senior Captain and Mrs Walter Stan Cottrill the Corps Officers and comrades of the Corps worked very hard to raise funds. One of the concerts was held at the Kampong Kapor Methodist Church. I recall paying 50 cents for my ticket to attend. It was  lot of money in those days for a school lad like me from Balestier Corps.

In 1954 I was appointed to Melaka and she and her husband were... of good support to me, a bachelor then. I had an open invitation to their home every Friday for dinner. She treated me like her younger brother. If they had to go out in the evening, they would put on a pile of records on the player and I spent quiet time at their home listening to classical music. Later she and her family returned to Singapore and she joined St Andrew's Cathedral and remained an active Anglican. We know we shall meet her in Heaven and spend eternity with our Lord and many friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment