Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cherished Memories of Australia

Our grand daughter Cheryl was in Gold Coast, Australia on business for about a week. Last Sunday 18th October, she made her way to The Salvation Army Gold Coast Temple. She found the meeting quite traditionally Salvation Army singing songs and hymns accompanied by the band or  piano. She sent us some pictures of the building and meeting. I don't think the folk knew she was sent  by her company to do business at the Gold Coast. They must have mistaken her for a young school girl. I understand there was a lady named Dot who spoke to her and gave her some souvenirs.

Her visit brought back memories. Way back in 1975 my wife and I were invited to conduct an evangelistic campaign at Petersham, NSW.  My wife could not go as there was no one to look after our special daughter Dora Poh Chin. So I went on my own.

I left home on 9th October 1975 from Singapore and arrived at Sydney the next day.The evangelistic campaign lasted ten days at Petersham NSW. The Corps Officers (pastors) were Major and Mrs. Ivan Rees. Their twin sons John and David with their respective wives Narrelle and Christine while stationed in Singapore worshiped at the Singapore Central Corps (church) where we were pastors and gave excellent support.

On 20th October, I left for Queensland where I was warmly welcomed by my host the Divisional Commander Lieut.  Colonel George Godkin. He and Mrs. Godkin drove me to Nambour where I gave the message.

I remember visiting the the  Big  Pineapple, quite a landmark on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland on the way to Nambour preach. I was guest of a lovely couple Brigadier and Mrs Drew, the Corps Officers (pastors.)

Gold Coast Temple (church) was my next destination. That evening of the 22nd October there was a special evangelistic meeting and I was the preacher. I remember being given the delicious meal of roast lamb chop which I could only eat half of it. The portion was very big. I was taken for the tour of the holiday resort of Gold Coast.

On 23rd and 24th October, I was the guest speaker at Gatton run by Captains John and Narrelle Rees, our old Singapore friends. I preached at the Corps and outposts - which formed in Salvation Army terminology Gatton Circle. We had a great time of fellowship. Time passed very quickly and I had to go to my next destination.

Ipswich Corps Anniversary and I was the guest speaker for the weekend's meetings. I was billeted at the home of the Whybird family. They own the well known packing and removal company in Australia. Major and Mrs. Everett and the folk made me feel very welcome.

Mr. and Mrs. Whybird had visited Central Corps one Sunday evening. After the Sunday night meeting, we invited them to our quarters for supper. They sat till quite late for they seemed to enjoy the fellowship. When they went back to Australia they wrote to thank us and we kept up our friendship. They even invited us to go to Australia to stay with them.

On 28th October I returned to Singapore. This was the first of my several visits to Australia - Twice to conduct Brengle Holiness seminars; later as the International Secretary we were there to conduct meetings and Army business - in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Canberra and many other places.

Forty years ago - and what memories of that friendly country. As age catches up with us we have called it a day - our travelling days are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment