Monday, April 13, 2015

Need for discipline

In his book "Spiritual Leadership" J Oswald Sanders wrote: Only the disciplined person will rise to his highest powers. The leader is able to lead others because he has conquered himself... A leader is a person who has first submitted willingly and learned to obey a discipline imposed from without, but who then imposes upon himself a much more rigorous discipline from within. Those who rebel against authority and scorn self-discipline seldom seldom qualify for leadership of a higher order...(Those) of leadership caliber will work while others waste time, study while others sleep and pray while others play."

A prayer for discipline from Amy Carmichael.

    God, harden me against myself,
    The coward with pathetic voice
Who craves for ease and rest and joy.
    Myself, arch traitor to myself,
       My hollowest friend,
       My deadliest foe,
My clog, wherever road I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment