Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Being grandparents

When young I was very close to my grandmother, a nonya lady who wore sarong kebaya. Our family lived with her until my uncle got married, our family moved out from the Kim Keat Road home to Lorong Limau. I was about four years old.  I never knew grandma had a name as we addressed her as "Ah Ma" (meaning grandma.)

She died in 1945 when I was about 12 plus, and I found out on the tombstone she was called Cecilia Koh!  She had been a Roman Catholic but turned Taoist when she got married. When she was dying, she sent for the priest who gave her the last rites. So she was buried at Bidadari Catholic cemetery. That's how my family except me became Catholics.

So today we are grandparents to six grandchildren. Last night a grandson and his fiancee came to visit us. That was great even if it was just for a short while. We shared a prayer with them. A bonus for us to day, when we had lunch with his brother at Bukit Timah Plaza. He rushed from band practice to the Plaza to keep that lunch appointment. It was a great time of fellowship. What a beautiful sight to see him holding grandma's hand as we walked from the Plaza to the bus stop.

So when young I valued my grandma and now when old we value our grandchildren. Thank God for blessings of family.

"Grandchildren are God's way of compensating us for growing old"  Mary H Waldrip.

"A mother loves and teaches; a grandmother teaches love."  Anonymous

What is life without relationships? Cherish your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment