Saturday, September 3, 2011

Last outfit

Strait Times reporters and the Lien Foundation combined and embarked on a strange project to find out the kind of outfit one would wear at one's funeral. People normally are reluctant to talk on the subject of death. Anyway fifty people were approached and responses to the question were varied.

One lady wanted to be dressed as a mermaid; another in sarong kebaya and so on. Madam Low Mui Lan, the Executive Director of Peacehaven, a salvationist from Changi Corps was interviewed. Her photograph appeared in the Straits Times with this comment. "Last outfit - Salvation Army uniform This uniform expresses who I am and why I am doing what I am doing. When Jesus sees me in my uniform, I hope to hear Him say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant.'" What a testimony. I feel proud of her for the stand she takes.

Singaporeans, please read The Straits Times, Saturday 3rd September - Caption "Last Outfits.

Needless to say, as a Salvation Army officer, I will be buried in my uniform.

The "S" on our uniform signify, "SAVED TO SERVE" - a motto that expresses SPIRITUALITY - we are saved by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. It also speaks of SERVICE. Our faith is to be put into practice. So we have two S's, like two sides of a coin - Faith is to be expressed in Works. William Barclay puts it, "No man will be moved into action without faith; and no man's faith is real until it moves him into action."

The church of which The Salvation Army forms a part believes in a twin philosophy. Social concern forms an integral part of the gospel of which we proclaim. The 'heart to God' philosophy is married to the 'hand to man' philosophy and the twain are one, let no man put asunder.



No comments:

Post a Comment