Thursday, August 26, 2010

A nostalgic journey

While my wife was at Home League at Bukit Panjang, I went back to my old 'kampong' (village) on a nostalgic journey.

I took Bus No 67 to Serangoon Road, and after disembarkation, walked the whole of Rangoon Road, turned into Starlight Road, but my old Rangoon Road Primary school was no more there. The Indian Fine Arts Society occupy the spot.

I turned into Oxford and Dorset Roads just to have a look, then made my way to Moulmein Road, had a peep at the old Eye Hospital, the future home of Balestier Corps. I turned to Balestier Road, visited Whanpoa estate (formerly Towner Road) where the Army used to have a kindergarten. Oh, what a great opportunity for Balestier folk to reach out to the people of the Whanpoa area. After a quick lunch at the market, I moved to Lorong Limau where I spent my childhood days till I left to enter the Salvation Army Training College.

I toured Kim Keat Road, saw the site where the Army had its first Boys' Home. Walked along Kim Keat Road, but could not find house where I spent my early childhood. From there I turned into Balestier Road again and had a look at the site of the former Balestier Corps building. A tennis court occupies the area. I shed a little tear as I pictured the hall where I got converted, became a soldier of The Salvation Army. Those wonderful years as a teen ager were spent at Balestier. Anyway, we must move on and one day the Lord will tell me whey He allowed certain things to happen.

I went to the old wet market at Balestier Road, now it is a food court. I stood at the spot where as a ten year old (1942) my Mum made some cakes for me to sell to get some income for the family. We were really very poor living from hand to mouth. I recall the day I went to this market. I was so shy I approached no one until Mrs. Ong of Balestier corps (Andrew Ong's mother) saw me and bought my first piece of cake. I was so delighted I went home and told Mum I sold one piece! (see chapter 4 Japanese occupation - trials and tribulations) She did not ask me to sell cakes any more, instead sent me to work for the Japanese at Tanjong Pagar.

I stood on the spot and gave thanks to God for the way He has guided me through the years. Then I walked to Thompson Road and near the Novena, quite tired by then, so took Bus 143 to Scots Road and walked to Bukit Timah to take Bus 171 home. I was tired but kept praising God as I reflected on life's journey through the years.

Writing my autobiography takes up a lot of my time but it has been a worthwhile exercise. It has brought me closer to God. His ways are beyond our understanding, but we keep trusting Him. I need to visit the old places and relive the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment