Saturday, September 24, 2011

William Booth Corps 9th Anniversary

On 23rd May 1981 The Haven was officially opened by the then Minister of Social Affairs Dr. Ahmad Mattar. Long before this auspicious day,Salvation Army leaders had the vision of a Corps to be established on the western side of the island.

We commenced Sunday worship services in August 1981. We had no one to appoint to take charge, so my wife and I took on the additional responsibility of running this new Corps plant. I was then the General Secretary.

On 30th January 1982 the Corps was officially opened! The first congregation comprised mainly of residents of the Haven - women from the Elderly section, youth and children from the Haven plus a few visitors. The Corps grew, new activities were added. Then on 7th July 2002, the Pasir Panjang Corps closed its doors for the last time. It was a sad moment for us. My wife and I were invited by Major Satterlee to conduct the last meeting. Twenty years earlier, I preached the first sermon at the same Corps when it was born, and now at its funeral!

The meeting ended with a time of Commitment when the whole congregation sang

All that I am, all I can be,
All that I have, all that is in me,
Accept and use Lord,
As You would choose, Lord,
Right now today!
Take every passion, every skill,
Take all my dreams and bend to Your will.
My all I give Lord,
For You I’ll live Lord,
Come what may.

This was followed by the last Chorus
All my days and all my hours.

Majors Satterlee conducted the ceremony of closure. It was a solemn occasion and seemed like a funeral service. But the mood and atmosphere changed when the whole congregation rose and sang Song 769, “Greater things, Give us faith O Lord, faith for greater things.” We closed the corps and moved on to Greater things at Upper Bukit Timah, the Corps to be renamed – William Booth Corps.

Change always brings challenge, but the officers and comrades all stood united determined to make a good start. We had to face a lot of teething problems. We sought the wisdom and grace of God. We held our regular meetings. Young people went round the Hillview and Bukit Panjang areas to give our leaflets advertising our meetings. There was a very good team spirit.

Fast forward nine years, and today Saturday 24th September 2011, we began our weekend's celebration with a picnic at Haven. It was fun time for the young and old - folk from Bukit Panjang Centre and Eratchippu joined us in fellowship and of course makan, plenty of it!

To-morrow will be a special day, but unfortunately my wife and I will not be joining the folk in the celebration as we will be conducting meeting at another Corps. We wish them God's richest blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment