Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Proverbs - a book worth reading.

The book of Proverbs in the Old Testament covers a wide range of topics, including such subjects as youth, discipline, family life, self control, resisting temptation, marriage, wealth, poverty, wisdom etc. I find it very interesting and am considering doing a series for our Bible class.

I understand the French banned the teaching of Proverbs in schools in 1969. Teachers were told to remove lessons on Proverbs from the curriculum but now primary schools are being told to bring them back as part of the drive to teach moral values to a generation often depicted as lost.

"I'm bringing morals back to school," said Luc Chatel the Education Minister. He has instructed all primary school principals to organise lessons on 'the precepts of the honest man' as often as possible, preferably every morning. I want children to learn about good and evil, truth and falsehood, dignity, courage and honesty." he said. Wisdom indeed.

Abraham Lincoln said, "I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of those about me seemed insufficient for the day."

"Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them." Proverbs.4:5

"Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding." Proverbs 23:23

No comments:

Post a Comment